Our District Headquarters in Worple Road, Wimbledon was erected as a memorial to Kenneth Black on land gifted to Wimbledon & Merton District by his elder brother Sir Cyril Black.
Sir Cyril was a local philanthropist, former Kings College scholar, local MP and Mayor of Wimbledon who died in 1991.
The hall was opened in 1957.
Kenneth Black was District Scout Master and was lost at sea in 1950 along with a crew of Scouts from the 1st Mortlake Group.
The story of that incident is recorded on the Scouting Texel web site here
Last photo of Wangle 3
Incident Enquiry Report
KBH Opening & History